Tuesday, January 22, 2013

It's all about sticks of butter.....

or at least that's what Mama always said. 

And no....believe  it or not, I am not referring to cooking with it....although it IS essential when baking and gives the best flavor. 

No....what I am talking about are counting the sticks of butter.  Read on.......

You see, I'm about to share something pretty personal. 

Those of you who know me well already know this about me....but for those of you who don't....well....here goes. 

I have always struggled with my weight.  I wasn't ever severely overweight as a child, or even as a teen, although in "my eyes" I was. 

But it wasn't until after I married, moved to the deep south (and thoroughly embraced their way of cooking here), and started having babies that I really began my struggle. 

Baby number one.....gained a lot, lost a lot, but not all.  Nine months later, guess who was pregnant again??  Yep...that would be me.  Gained less, but remember that I never lost all the weight from baby number one. 

After two babies so close together, I knew I needed to do something if I ever wanted any more children....and that I did. 

I lost 90 pounds.  Mmmmhmmm......I said 90.  (If I could find a picture I would post it....but that was before digital cameras, so give me a break!)

It took me about 18 months, but I did it.

And it felt great. 

And then I found out I was pregnant again.  :)

And on came the pounds....with a vengeance.  I think my body freaked out after me having lost so much weight and then going into a gaining mode....that I gained....well....let's just say a LOT. 

You probably already know the rest of this story, don't you?  Yep....lost a part of the baby weight and guess who ended up pregnant with baby number four??? 

That would be me. 

And in fairness....I did deliver some big ole' babies, with the smallest one weighing 9lb.12oz, and the biggest weighing 10lb. 14oz!!!!!  So I did gain it honestly......and as a matter of fact....the doctor told me I was made to have babies, but unfortunately, I just gain a lot with each pregnancy. 


And I wouldn't trade any of them for the WORLD.  I feel so blessed to have had two girls AND two boys.  God's timing was perfect, the birth order was perfect and I wouldn't have it any other way. 

But when your "baby" is 10, it's probably time to stop calling it "baby weight". ;)

I'm just sayin'. 

So it's back to Weight Watchers I go.  For the five thousandth time. 

But this time?  I'm going public with it. 

And no....I am NOT going on Biggest Loser.  I have threatened my family to never nominate me!  I am definitely not brave enough to be on national television in skimpy exercise attire. 

You can thank me later.....

But I am, however, going to try to hold myself more accountable by blogging about my journey.  Because we all know it's going to be one.  I'm probably looking at having to lose 100 pounds or so....but I can only lose it one pound at a time.  And I am determined to do it this time. 

My inspiration??

Those four.  I just love 'em so much.....and it's not fair to them for me to not take better care of myself. 






It's not about "swimsuit season" because we all know "Mama ain't gettin' in no swimmin' suit!!"  My kids don't even bother to ask. 

It's about being healthier, and having more energy to do things with them. 

It's about not developing diabetes which does run in the family. 

It's about lowering blood pressure.

It's about not having to wear tennis shoes because my darn foot hurts.

It's about not being the last one huffing and puffing behind the family as we trudge up the hill going to the stadium to see the state football game.

And it's about counting sticks of butter.

You see, whenever I would get frustrated with a "1/2 pound loss"....Mama would always say, "Well....that's two sticks of butter!  Look at it that way!"

So I am.

And yesterday, I wasn't too happy when I heard the WW leader say, "You lost 1.8 pounds!" after I had nearly turned into a rabbit from all of the vegetables I had eaten the past week.  I was thinking, "SERIOUSLY???  Not quite two pounds??"

But then I remembered what Mama said, so I began counting sticks of butter.....and it didn't seem all that bad for one week.










I'm just sayin'.

No comments:

Post a Comment