Thursday, September 30, 2010

"Who do you go for??"

That's one of Jack's favorite questions to ask his 2nd grade friends.

And for those of you not from these parts....that's code for, "Do you like Auburn or Alabama?"

Mmmhhhhmmmm......I thought it was a little odd when I first moved here too. I was a mere 19 years old, and just trying to get used to the fact that when my mother-in-law said she was "fixin" to do something, that meant she was getting ready. There are actually a whole lot of terms I didn't know then that I do now....and frankly, that would probably make for a very comical blog post.....but I'm getting all sidetracked.

How in the WORLD was I to know that in the south, college football was like a religion?

Really....it is. I had never seen anything like it.

I will never forget.... Darwin had just gotten out of the Marine Corps, and we had just moved cross country to his home town in south Alabama. It was November and just about time for the Iron Bowl. (And don't even get me started about the reaction I received when I asked what the Iron Bowl was.) Yep....you guessed it. I got that whole, are-you-kidding-me look.

So the big day arrived, and even though I was clueless....I could feel the energy in the air. Everyone was wearing their team colors....and saying these crazy things to one another. You know....like, "War Eagle" or "Roll Tide". And if you aren't from here....that's just a little weird to be in the store, and have someone look at you wearing your Auburn shirt (that you borrowed from your husband because you haven't added such a thing to your wardrobe yet), and saying, "WAR EAGLE!" And that was only prior to the game....because once it started, the stores were EMPTY. Did you hear me?? Empty. Except, of course, for the occasional newbie like myself who didn't see what all of the hulabaloo was about.

But once I had children and they got to school age, I started REALLY seeing the craziness. The whole WEEK of school before the Iron Bowl they would have activities for the kids to participate in. Wear your favorite team shirt....whichever team-gets-the-most-change-brought-in parties....etc.

Gradually, I became accustomed to the whole idea, but I still didn't love it, and I certainly didn't want to sit down and spend hours watching it on television.

And then it happened.

My girls got to middle school and began being "pep rallied" into going to the high school football games. How was I to say "no" when they had a "spirit bus" to ride on?? Kinda' hard to use the ole' "gas is too expensive for me to drive you there" excuse.

And then the girls started wanting to spend their Saturdays watching football with Darwin and having intelligent conversations about it! I was feeling left out, and if you know anything about me....I don't like being left out.


So this girl decided that if you can't beat 'em, join 'em.

And I did.

And I love it.


I even get upset when our high school football team has an away game and Darwin doesn't want to travel with the team!

And for those of you Bama fans out there, don't get your feathers ruffled. Shhhhh.....don't tell anyone, but I actually watch those games too, and pull for Alabama unless they're playing Auburn. Darwin grew up an Alabama fan, but lost his loyalty when his brother went to Auburn. And we do have a daughter fixin' to go to Auburn next year so......

Wait...did I just say "fixin'"?

Wow.

I've actually been known to say "War Eagle" to a perfect stranger in public who is wearing the right attire.

So....War Eagle!!!!

I'm just sayin'.

No comments:

Post a Comment